Greece Trip - Part 1 (Mykonos)

Hi guys!





Back with my new stories from my recent trip to Europe, this time I went to three countries (one of these three is my first visit to the country). Yes, say yes to Greece!

What to know about Greece:

Capital city : Athens
Currency     : EURO
Language    : Greek (kalimera, efcharisto, parakalo!)

Guess you ever heard about Aprodhite, Hercules or even the movie 'Thor' that took inspiration from Greek mythology? The ancient Greek civillization began way back then in the 8th Century as many sources said so. You may surf the web to find out more about their historical events, I won't be focusing on that now :p Their amazing historical findings brought it into one of the famous travelling destinations on Earth. I couldn't believe my eyes when I literally went to their museums and got to see the artefact from ages ago! History is indeed amazing. 

This country which is influential through its history comprise of thousands of islands, located on the Southern part of Europe. This time I went to Mykonos and Santorini. Greece is famous for island hopping kind of trip, however I got sea-sickness so I avoided too much ferry ride *I went drama during our trip from Mykonos to Santorini by ferry - will tell ya more about this :l *.

In regards of its culture, I sense a fusion of culture as Greece is located nearby the neighbouring Mediterranean countries. They share similar food as the Turkey, perhaps it is due to the history of Ottoman Empire that led Greece for 400 years. 

Our Destinations

Mykonos: A sophisticated travelling destination, beautiful ocean, chill and lovely Greek vibe, great night life scene.

Santorini: Did you watch Mammamia movie? In fact I got inspired by two things that made my way to Santorini -
1. Yanni, my favourite Greek musician made a song called 'Santorini' and held his live concert in Acropolis (Athens). That made me curious how Santorini looks like!
2. Mammamia! Lovely musical and romance movie, cute in many ways, humble and beautiful island.

Mykonos - 13 April 2019

I went with a group of seven girls including myself with individual arrangement. After a long flight from Singapore to Doha (Qatar) and from Doha we made our way to Athens (Greece). From Athens we continue our journey to Mykonos with Aegean Airline (a local Greek airline), with a smaller plane to reach the magical island of Mykonos.

Van pick-up at Mykonos Airport:
Once we arrived, the driver of the van that we booked earlier was already seen with our name. The van is very spacious! Greece got many nice van cars to choose from! I recommend you to travel with van from airport to your accommodation if you travel in big group like me or just to enjoy the ride and first experience of the island! Hassle-free!

Villa Kampani:
We've picked the best villa to cater all of us from Airbnb, and turns out the villa is super nice in real life !! The host was Stefanos, a super nice guy who gave us recommendation around the island and a life saviour at night when we got locked out from our own villa due to some silly mistake 😂 --

The fact that you shouldn't leave any key hanging inside or it will be auto-locked!!! So pay attention on every details of your accommodation! He came late at night and after he didn't manage to open it he called a locksmith guy who live nearby. It only took him 2 minutes to open! 

Villa Kampani is located at the Old Port area (one of the most strategic spot in Mykonos) nearby the Little Venice area - within walking distance. I'll talk more about the area later!

I really enjoyed taking photos at the villa + the weather was super lovely during the first two days in Greece!


Chillin on the first day


Photos of our villa taken from its website:





Mykonos - 14 April 2019

On the second day, I was so prepared to drive on the right-side of the road. Not until I got a surprise of free car-upgrade to a Wrangler Jeep instead of a mini Citroen city car !!!! Hahaha this was one of the best moments :p


So we walked to the nearby post office as communicated earlier with the car rental company. And nope, I didn't see any Citroen there! Then that was the time, "Hey, so which one is the car?", I said.

"We got you a free upgrade! Congrats", the guy called Matteos said with a smiley and friendly vibe. 

I was like...... What????? *-_______-*

"Are you serious?? I just need a simple city car, that's it!"

He was so persistent, and he said the car is easy to drive. In fact, I never drove a Jeep further than my house complex fyi. Coz my Dad never let me hahahahahha. Then I took it as a yes, I'm pretty good in driving especially in Jakarta, you must encourage yourself at some point. If you can drive in Jakarta, then you can drive everywhere in the World! At least in most places! Hahahaha indeed it was true! I didn't face any difficulties driving in Mykonos, in fact it was awesome as I get to breathe the fresh air and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the island. The road map is so simple as the island is pretty small, there is only one main road and clear signage everywhere. Nope, I'm not lost in translation! Thanks God!


This is how the car looks like from back view, a nice Wrangler Jeep! :D

First stop - Petrol station

As the fuel level is limited when the rented car was handed over to us, we need to pay on our own to fill up the fuel tank. With 20 euros (half tank) we managed to keep the same level of fuel when we gave back the car at the end of the day. If you are only renting the car for one day, 20 euro is more than enough to explore small island like Mykonos!

For this road trip, only three of us joined in meanwhile the others enjoying their own activities. It is important to appreciate everyone's decision during travelling, it is very possible that we have different interest as long as we informed each other on the plan! All happy :D

And yeah, randomly, we found that taking photo from the petrol station's parking lot is awesome! Here's the result: *kudos to Sylvi - the photographer* - check her Instagram for more great travelling themed photos! 




Lunch time at the beach - Nikolas Tavern at Paraga Beach

This restaurant is recommended by our Airbnb host, Stefanos. I did not regret at all going to this place for our first meal of the day outside the villa area! 


Feta cheese + olive oil + sald = perfect combination for authentic Greek meal.
Then we ordered some seafood dishes: fried shrimp, grilled octopus, salmon fettucini. Surprisingly all were superb! Beyond my expectation of Greek seafood dish! ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD I AM SERIOUS. 

The seafood served are extremely fresh, perhaps due to its location at the beach itself surrounded by the real habitat of the sea creatures :p Plus the vibe is perfect to chill out! Below photos taken from their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NikolasTavern.Mykonos/ )





The photo that I took with my phone of our lunch:




AW I MISS THE FOOD !!!!!!!!!! WISH THEY COULD DELIVER TO ASIA HAHA. *the freshness might become questionnable duh*


Super Paradise Beach

Yep to our next stop, the Super Paradise Beach! During this spring season, I thought we won't be able to get some summer-ish sunray vibe. Oops we were lucky! It was a sunny day and the wind was not really bad. Found a good place to chill and enjoy some fresh mocktail! Another Bali!





Story TBC! I will update more by this week!



Comments

Popular Posts